[aprssig] HF APRS Transceiver

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Mar 7 20:49:37 EST 2008

Stephen WA8LMF wrote...

> One potential low-cost candidate for fixed-frequency APRS
> applications on HF is the "Small Wonder PSK31" transceiver.
> These are essentially single-band (40M, 30M, 20M) fixed-
> frequency (crystal-controlled) SSB transceivers with a wider-
> than-average passband...
> The only change is that you would have to replace the channel
> crystal with one that places the radio on the APRS channel...

That could actually be several crystals if the others are like the 80M
Warbler. For that one, six crystals would be needed as they were used
both in an oscillator and in a couple of bandpass filters. I actually
looked into it last year. The cost of the crystals could change it from
a budget project into an expensive one, but if you could get the
crystals at a reasonable price (bulk purchase anyone?) it could be an
interesting project. I just looked at some of the other models and at a
glance, it looked do-able. In the 80M Warbler, all the crystals were the
same frequency. In the others, several crystal frequencies would be
needed for the change.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH