[aprssig] APRS Emergency Activation

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at hjemme.no
Tue Mar 4 14:32:27 EST 2008

Earl Needham skrev:
> At 08:08 3/4/2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> Probably the person with the emergency needing immediate
>> assistance has a different opinion.  Operators that don't want
>> to be bothered by other people's emergencies probably would see
>> it as a nuisance.
>
>         No, Bob, it isn't the EMERGENCIES that are a problem, it's all
> the FALSE ALARMS from 300+ miles away.  Just had one 2 or 3 weeks ago,
> it was over in Oklahoma and I was in New Mexico.  I couldn't have helped
> if it had been real.

Maybe if people inform other how and when to use this "special call"?
Here in No(r)way someone had the communication and medical
responsibility and they used the "emergency" seting. When doing work
like this we use LE prefix in Norway and this is assigned for emergency
and/or communications work not directly rellated to HAM operations.
And it's very easy to select "emergency" from a tracker or software if
you are not aware that this is actualy reserved for more serius "events".

Just as an example: http://aprs.fi/?call=PU2VTJ-5&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600
"Resgate Emergencia" i think it's a group doing rescuing etc but they
are sending with the emergency tag/bit.

So maybe more "agressive" information on how to use the more special
functions in APRS?

And a little off topic:
If i'm sending an emergency beacon with my TH-D/, TM-D700 or TM-D710 via
the PCSAT is the SATGAT sending this tag/bit too?

I have done several contacts via PCSAT with the TH-D7, 3W and original
antenna from an area without any other methods to communicate :o) so it
could be a life saver. But not if it continues to be a wolf wolf mather...

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA