[aprssig] Rotate.aprs.net technical question (Was: APRS IS Issue ?)

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Mon Mar 3 09:27:42 EST 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Rick Green wrote:

> In the case of an error like this, does the client automatically go
> back and do another DNS query, (hopefully) get a different IP
> address, and retry the conection?  If so, how often, for how long?
>   If not, what operator intervention is needed to force a retry?
> Restart the interface? Close and reopen the application? Force a
> flush of the workstation's DNS cache?  Force a flush of your
> router's DNS cache?  All of the above???

My concern is...what if we lose one or two core servers for some
reason?  Is the redundancy adequate to handle the load?

Last week, it did not appear like it was.  If one server was lost,
when the other was already refusing connections, the remaining server
was configured in a way which would have rejected stuff.

So, my question: How many core servers must be operational to handle
the current number of connections (not CWOP load), today, of the APRS
core?  Do we have that?