[aprssig] APRS IS Issue ?

Stan N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Mon Mar 3 00:25:29 EST 2008

Ok you can all shoot me now but I thought I'd add a little fuel to the fire.
Honestly I'm not trying to make people upset but a couple of thoughts came
to mind that I thought might be interesting for future growth and learning.
Some times we learn the most from our mistakes.

1.) We knew for a month that 3rd and 4th would be gone. Why wasn't a new
THIRD put into place before the deadline? Why did we have to wait until the
two remaining servers were full before we figured out that we needed to
increase the threshold on FIRST? Wonder what would have happended if we had
run out of capacity during a big disaster like a Katrina? The object of
servers shouldn't be to meet the demand but to be able to have enough
overhead for the unexpected.

2.) When it was decided that the core take on the CWOP program it would
appear that there wasn't a lot of preplaining. I mean we knew long before
the core took the project on that weather stations reported in a 5 minute
(or less) fashion. Couldn't a person calculate the amount of traffic and
server resources from what was already an exsisting service? Not to
anticipate a growth in CWOP data and plan ahead would seam to be a hugh
mistake. (Sounds like that was already admitted to but just wanted to bring
it up to get it back into the discussion.)

I'll get my flame suit ready but my intent isn't to put more salt into old
wounds but to see if there isn't something we can learn from our past
mistakes so that we don't repeat them.