[aprssig] APRS Weather hops and rates

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Mar 2 18:04:50 EST 2008

 From an operational perspective, a lot (but not all) NWSWFO's use APRS
Weather data.  In general, those that do would like to see updates as
frequently as possible.  There's been a fair bit of discussion about an
optimal sample rate (terms like Nyquits have arisen in these discussion,
but so have autocorrelation and Fourier...).  1 hour rates such as AWOS
are a bare minimum and high frequency rates such as 15- 10- and 5-min
updates are very useful.

If one thinks back to the Baltimore Water Taxi incident (2004), NWS had
limited data from radar and ASOS/AWOS updates.  Had they had more access
to high frequency APRS and CWOP updates, the gust front responsible for
the accident could have been detected sooner and better warning
strategies developed.

At this time NOAA/ESRL/GDS (the folks who run MADIS) collect APRS-Wx
data every 15 minutes.  We've been talking to them about collecting and
processing more frequently but so far they're saying they are limited by
systems and hardware issues.  They *want* to get the data more
frequently, but that's not an option.  We are looking at alternatives to
allow faster retrieval and potentially preprocessing their QC using
their algorithms to facilitate faster updates, but nothing's been
finalized.  Nowhere close yet.

The optimal timing right now, because of the data collection limitation,
is every 15 minutes, as anything going to APRS-ISwould see the
occasional dropout with a 10 min update cycle and some of the data
collection logic.  Alternately, a 5 minute rate would ensure that the
latest data would always make it into MADIS via APRS-IS and CWOP, which
would be an operational benefit.

Does this help?

gerry n5jxs