[aprssig] APRS IS Issue ?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Mar 2 17:41:20 EST 2008

Great in theory, poor in practice.  We have worked on identifying, with
Pete, some of the problems and limitations, and to develop work-arounds.

At this time, there are thre (3) Core servers in operation, which I
believe will prove sufficient as we migrate the non-Ham CWOP stations to
their onw, dedicated server pool.  IF not, we'll recruit another.

If we continue to see the flood of CWOP weather data on a mixed-service
server core, we'll continue to see problems.  Addint the Tier2 servers
does not mitigate the amount of filter hashing that goes on (Scott,
there's more to it than meets the eye).  A tiered system should be an
improvement but for this particular problem, it is not.

The solution, however, is simple.  For several years, APRS-IS, by
agreement of the volunteer system administrators, has hosted service for
CWOP.  Today, because of the rapid, and honestly unanticipated, growth
of CWOP, hosting as a mixed service on one Core infrastructure (with or
without tiering) is no longer practical.  As a committed member of both
activities, I've taken some lead in creating and designing a
CWOP-dedicated server pool with different software configurations from
APRS-IS and different configurations, to support this.  I'm seeking to
work with the National Weather Service and the CWOP management structure
to see a relatively straightforward transition to that server pool.
That should, without additional software changes, give CWOP some 3-5
years at the current growth rate to evaluate and make changes to support
  its operations.  At the same time, it buys breathing room for APRS-IS
to evaluate software ant techniques, make changes to management and
operational recommendations and to continue to grow.  Simply, hosting
two services was no longer a good idea.  Splitting them and using
resources available (javAPRSSrvr code) and expertise derived from our
experiences made good sense.  AE5PL and K4HG have been valuable partners
in this endeavor.

I'm glad to entertain questions on the changes and transition, but I
think we need to let some of the rhetoric settle and see how things will
run.

Gerry N5JXS
first.aprs.net
cwop.tamu.edu/cwop1.tamu.edu (CWOP-1)