[aprssig] CQ Server operational question

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 17:58:00 EDT 2008

Pete,

 I was playing with it (the FD group) before FD and got a message
that looked to be originated by the server - something to the effect
that I was too early.  Was that an auto reply, or were you
watching and manually sending that?

--

73, Steve, K9DCI

--- On Mon, 6/30/08, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists <hamlists at ametx.com> wrote:

Good questions...

> [...]
group, right?
> The first use of the group makes that group exist (for the 12 hours)?
> The group does not have to be set up by some prior system command by
> Pete, right?

You are correct.  CQSRVR is entirely "at the mercy" ;-) of the users.

> If so...  When/if the initial user (who set up the group) Does a
> U(nconnect) command, does that terminate the group, or does is still
> exist for the remainder of the 12 hours?

The group exists for as long as there are "member" stations.  So when
the station that creates a group leaves (or is quiet for 12 hours), the group
still remains until no one is part of that group.

It is sort of a neat way to call a long distance net, too.  If the
"members" are quiet for 12 hours and do not unsubscribe, they will be
automatically unsubscribed and the group will no longer exist (until the next
time someone "joins" the group).

There were 16 stations at any one time subscribed to the FD group during the
Field Day period.  A small but interesting demonstration of the concept.  Bob,
thanks for promoting it over the weekend and thanks to all that experimented
with it.  CQSRVR will continue to remain up for the foreseeable future.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net