[aprssig] GPS Jamming On The Rise

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jun 28 02:09:08 EDT 2008

Greg  KO6TH wrote...

> It would seem to me that this is an untapped opportunity for the Ham
> community to freshen up our T-hunting skills, and be ready for the day
> when these things become more than just a nuisance. The trick is, how
> would you practice this legally? We can't exactly deploy one of these
> in the woods somewhere without violating the law ourselves...

You could just locate existing sources of jamming sigals and notify the
authorities without violating any laws. Setting up a jamming device
yourself would be a different story. However, if one was deployed in the
woods, it shouldn't affect anyone else if the effective jamming range
was only 10 - 20 metres. If it had a much greater range, you might not
be the only ones tracking it down. (Bring your earplugs!)

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH