[aprssig] APRSD mangling Mic-E packets

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Fri Jun 27 17:25:41 EDT 2008

On Fri, June 27, 2008 15:17, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> Yes, there's a solution.  It involves tweaking one file and
> recompiling.  Someone submitted a patch to the aprsd Sourceforge bug
> tracker that solves the problem for Mic-E.  The patch allows the
> five unprintable characters that Mic-E uses to pass by ok on Linux
> AX.25 ports.

And if I remember correctly, the binary character stripping in aprsd is
done only for Linux kernel AX.25 sockets, not regular serial ports. If
anyone happens to be using them.. And I'm specifically talking about the
sourceforge version of aprsd, this bug is not present in the "original"
(wa4dsy?) version that doesn't support Linux kernel AX.25.

> I revised the patch slightly to pass all 8-bit characters as it's
> possible to send any 8-bit value with user-defined packets.
>
> I sent the modified patch to Chuck.  Hopefully it'll appear in the
> CVS sources soon, then perhaps a new release will come out with the
> fix.

Yes I agree that passing all 8 bits (well, maybe not 0x00 bytes) is better
than the original patch I made. I hope you have more influence on the
aprsd release cycle than I do.. my patch was submitted to sourceforge
aprsd bug tracker about 3 years and 1 month ago, but there hasn't been a
new release since late 2003. Luckily today there are alternatives to
aprsd, good ones I might add.

  Tapio