[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 48, Issue 11

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 12 14:12:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Earl Needham wrote:

>          Ah, OK.  Sorry PM7 won't do the job.  I guess what you want
> then, would be Xastir -- it allows you to download topo maps from
> somewhere, but I can't remember the specific details.  I was using
> Xastir on my laptop, via VMware, but the laptop rolled over and died
> a few months ago.  Oh well, that's life I guess.

For those in my area (WA State), I have a loaner copy of all the
topo maps for WA and some of OR.  These work in Xastir, giving you
contiguous topo maps:  It chops off the white borders, does a
pseudo-rubber-banding of the image from UTM to unprojected format,
and tiles them together.  The rubber-banding works quite well for
the 7.5' maps, a bit less so for the 1:100k and 1:250k maps.

I just received the loaner set back this week.  If someone needs it
for copying, give me a yell.  I have CD's and DVD's available.  If
you're in Western WA there's likely somebody near you who's already
borrowed the set and you can copy them off their CD's/DVD's/Hard
drive.  Ask on the NWAPRS list and somebody nearer to you might step
up.

These are unmodified USGS DRG topo maps, typically one or two CD's
per lat/lon degree.  They're free.  I just ask that the loaner set
be returned to me within a reasonable amount of time.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer