[aprssig] OT: Broadband internet in remote locations

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 09:39:57 EDT 2008

Nice job.  Trouble is, as has been mentioned recently, this is all very
well in "normal" times...

In a true emergency, the cell site's will go down as well, if not
immediately, but when their backup batteries run out, or the standby
genny diesel fuel is all used up, or some other part of the system fails
or is damaged.  Heck, even if the system stays up, the controllers of
the system will probably restrict its use to a limited number of known
pre designated 'phones, so the system does not get swamped with
"civilian" users.

Even Satellite voice/data links depend on a ground station or other
ground based infrastructure somewhere, if that goes out, you are to put
it politely... "Stuffed"!

I seem to remember this was discussed at great length a year or so back.
I think the discussion started along the lines of how best to power a
mountain top Digi.

Bottom line for SAR team, or any emergency use...   DO NOT depend on any
resource outside of your direct control!   That includes mobile
broadband, as well as your source of personal food supplies and shelter
etc...

73..

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk