[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 48, Issue 11

Andy McMullin andy at rickham.net
Wed Jun 11 16:58:52 EDT 2008

Tom,

I can see where the difference lies here. Unfortunately, outside the
USA/Canada there are almost zero vector maps like the Tiger shapefile
maps available for anybody. We have to plan and create ALL our maps in
advance for all eventualities -- even for SAR (where my team still
uses the paper things - no power require though). The big plus of
AGWTracker is that -- with an internet connection -- you can use on-
line maps and get something approaching the capability of zoomable and
scalable vector maps like the Tiger set. Even off-line it does do more
that UI-View -- and it is still under development if you want
something specific!

My biggest disappointment with XASTIR (once I managed to compile it
under OSX) was the mapping one. The vector World/Europe maps I've
managed to find are terribly inaccurate. Instead I have to convert and
then use my old UI-View ones -- and I've still not got them all
working properly due to issues with the conversion and Image or
Graphic Magick. In the end, my quick solution for the Mac was
AGWTracker under Parallels.

However, I agree about a mapping suite that supports APRS -- but
outside the USA I don't think such a thing will ever exist; you lot
that side of the pond don't know just how lucky you are with your
electronic maps!

--
Regards
Andy, G8TQH