[aprssig] OT: Windows XP Service Pack 3

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 04:22:46 EDT 2008

Have to say...

You shouldnt realy have UPnP running on a router anyway.  It's a *HUGE*
security hole waiting to get you..  Any malicious code you inadvertantly
download (it happens) can if it is programed to, reconfigure your router
for it's own use (setting up port forwarding for example) without your
knowledge, if you have UPnP support enabled on a router.  It's best
turned off on the PC too, there is nothing that "realy" needs it..

This is NOT the same thing as the Plug-n-Play service running in the
background of Windows.

After all, as people who use PC's and networks, arn't we suposed to
manage all this ourselves?

About the only use for UPnP, is for gamers who use multiple consoles,
not PC's.  Even then it's debatable.

In any case, the code on the router should have been more robust, to not
crash due to "unexpected" parameters sent to it from a LAN client..
Mind you, they are not the only maker who has had buggy router firmware
"out there" in the past...

73.

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk