[aprssig] OT: Windows XP Service Pack 3

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 04:12:03 EDT 2008

There can be similar looping reboot situations, if you let Vista auto
install SP1!

Recovery needs the original Vista install disk, let that boot, then
after you have told it about what country you live in, and language etc,
select the option (looks like a web link) Repair or recover (something
like that) and follow the instructions.

On a friends laptop, it took two stabs to fix, but it's all stable
again.  I guess the first time it rewrites the boot code, if that doesnt
fix it, it examines C:\ identifies the Vista partition, and rewrites
something else, as above, the second time round fixed it for us.  SP1
seems to be "on" it OK after that.

No known problems here with XP SP3 and APRS programs, or any other HAM
stuff, yet.  I have seen a few PC's that now refuse to eject the CD/DVD
tray when asked, needing the unfolded paperclip trick....   Or a reboot.
I sort of expect a media player patch sometime soon perhaps.

Mind you, all this is nothing compared to the hassle some users of a
popular Linux distro' seem to be having with updates!...

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.
This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk