[aprssig] APRS in the field (day) with 3rd party application.

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 13:32:46 EDT 2008

Theres a discussion on the WL2k yahoo group about how to make a list
of Field Day stations that want to practice exchanging Emails...  (Via
an Internet server in Australia for "ham radio" but I won't go there
now...)

Here's my quick suggestion on how to use APRS to build the "database"
of participating stations..

---

> Just to start the creative juices flowing, how about this: one of the
> resources you have in the field is someone at a home station with all
> the comforts therein. At a designated home station, a simple, easily
> installed robotic plug in would listen for a specially crafted bit of
> email, add that station to a list and automatically reply with a CSV
> file of all of the stations heard so far.

Simpler then that.   Send out an APRS object for the field day site.
Include some special keyword and the address to be used:

IE: (not a real packet ...)

WA7NWP-17>APRS,WIDE8-8::NWPFD08:-lat--long- WLFDEMAIL wa7nwp-4

Then anybody using existing APRS tools could simply do the appropriate
look up and see everybody that wants to exchange Emails...

I guess when you think about it - this uses an existing database server...

73
Bill - WA7NWP