[aprssig] Time to UPGRADE obsolete DIGIS!

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Sun Jun 8 05:53:29 EDT 2008

> That paper is Andy M0CYP's old idea, and it's "kind of funny" in
> that it's
> utilizing so much text, phrasing and theory as first documented by
> "Father
> of APRS" Bob WB4APR.  Andy shows (Ui-View32 setup for) it on his
> website
> too.  Andy and I have discussed this in email previously including
> in 2003
> when Andy's website recommended APRS,TRACE6-6,WIDE7-7 for UK amateurs.
> <grin>

Agreed
> Unfortunately, it retains the long antiquated reduced efficiency of
> "RELAY".
> Other than that, if you simply substituted the text "WIDE" for the
> text
> "TRACE" it would be the North American (and elsewhere) system!
> It's as
> though some in UK "got stuck in the process of evolution" back
> during that
> older intermediate improvement in the VHF network.  Remember, North
> Americans once used _that_ same "TRACE-N" system too, before moving
> forward
> to improved efficiency with full "traceable WIDEn-N" (no RELAY).
>
> I only hope there will be more input considered (by Committee C5)
> too before
> that IARU Region 1 General Conference in Cavtat, Croatia on 16 to 21
> November 2008.
> http://cavtat.hamradio.hr/
> 73, Cap KE6AFE

Its too late for that now, the CFP deadline has passed.

I'm considering preparing a 'counterpoint' document (not sure if its
the correct term), if I could get the agreement, of our delegates to
bring it (and use it).  However I would probably need some help
analysing the packets on the APRS-IS.  For example, I do not believe
that TRACEn-N is favoured in Europe, but I'll have to go to the
databases and check.

--
John Ronan <jronan at tssg.org>, +353-51-302938
Telecommunications Software &  Systems Group,  http://www.tssg.org