[aprssig] Time to UPGRADE obsolete DIGIS!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 6 15:03:22 EDT 2008

> As for UIDIGI ROMS, I've got a standing offer for
> free ROMs - I've done about two dozen so far.
> Just send me the .bin file prepared with your
> configuration, along with a mailing address,
> and I'll send you a programmed chip.

I took a quick look at Tim's receommended settings and I have
made a few suggested mods to his recommendations to better match
the intent of the New-N paradigm and the Local Freqeucny Object
Recommendations:

DIGI CALLSIGN:  Add a note. "Avoid -12 and -15 if possible"

UIFLOOD:  Actually, we do want ID enabled.  This gives us some
traceability to SSn-N paths.  Also the receommended user path
for SSn-N paths is to use WIDE1-1,SSn-N.  This way, we get an ID
on the first hop, then we also get an ID on the last hop (if
UIFLOOD ID is set)...

TXDelay:  I think that 200 should be the default.

UIFLOOD OPTIONS = 4?  We want to have ID enabled on UIFLOOD so
that SSn-N packets are partially traced as noted above...  It
appears to me that this means set bits 1 and 2?  Yes, this makes
the packet grow, but over the years, I have learned that it is
more important to be able to trace the network than be overly
brief with packets.

BEACON3TEXT: Currently shows the example for a Voice Repeater
object as:

Beacon3Text = ;146.940-H*111111z3444.27N/08631.98Wr T097 R45m
Mg3rdTu

It turns out that the leading space in front of the TONE (T100)
offsets the text poorly on most radio displays.  The format for
the local receommended voice repeater frequency should be:

Beacon3Text = ;146.940-H*111111z3444.27N/08631.98WrT097 R45m Net
Tu9PM Mtg3rdTu ...

Where T097 represents the tone 97.6 Hz
Where R45m represents an estimated range of 45 miles.
Where Net Tu9PM represents the weekly net time if any
Where Mtg3rdTu represents the monthly meeting.

Bob