[aprssig] IRLP APRS Status Script: Multiconnect Bug?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jul 25 12:00:17 EDT 2008

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> I just checked FINDU and of the first 6 IRLP Objects out of 50,
> only one is in the correct recommended IRLP/APRS frequency
> standard format.  We need to figure out why this script is not
> yielding the consistency we need?  In this list, I cut out the
> date/lat/long so they fit better:
>
> ;IRLP-4740*442.600MHz T141 R20m OFFLINE  [Yes, correct!
> ;IRLP1148 *147570S100IDLE R15Km          [No . & no -

I did some modifications to the script on node IRLP 1148. How does it
look now? I also removed the date/lat/long. The original scrip converted
MHz to KHz. It wasn't inserting MHz even though at a glance it looked
like it should. I think the script had it set up as a variable instead
of just text. Removing a dollar sign took care of that. I added T for
tone and some spaces. It still has S for simplex but I could remove
that. The unmodified script would also insert |+ or - for an offset.

;IRLP1148 *147.570MHz S T100 IDLE R15Km

It looks like the status should be moved to the end. Here's the most
recent version, again less the date/time and lat/long, but still with
the S for simplex in it:

IRLP1148 147.570MHz S T100 R15Km IDLE

> The objective is the following format to show on all APRS maps
> and GPS units and radios the location, frequency, tone and range
> of nearby IRLP nodes:
>
> ;IRLP-NNNN*FFF.FFFMHz Tnnn RXXm STATUS
>
> Where IRLP-NNNN is the object name
> Where Tnnn is the tone in Hz (no tenths) with leading zero
> Where RXXm is subjective useable range in miles (or km)
> Where STATUS is the present node status.
>
> See www.aprs.org/localinfo.html
>
> Where can we correct the IRLP information and docs to get
> everyone onto the same page?

After your comments, I could post my notes over on the IRLP & IRLP
embedded lists. Individuals could duplicate my changes (if I'm getting
close) but even better would be if the script author would modify the
script and make it available. Unfortunately, some (many?) IRLP node
owners are not also APRS users. I suspect that those that install the
script (not all have) simply install it and follow the configuration
instructions. Even I did that. I seem to recall that you were working
with Randy KC6HUR (possibly not the original author, but I believe he
did the most recent modifications) and Dave VE7LTD (IRLP) about April
2007. Perhaps those changes didn't make it into the script.

For IRLP node owners, the script is available at
http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php.

I don't know if it would make a difference, but on your page
www.aprs.org/localinfo.html there are two missing graphics in the "IRLP
and EchoLink FREQUENCY OBJECTS" section about 3/4 of the way down the
page... www.aprs.org/aprs/IRLPx.JPG and
www.aprs.org/aprs/EL-123456x.JPG.

Also on www.aprs.org/avrs.html the middle of the top three graphics is
missing... www.aprs.org/avrs/EL-123456x.JPG, same file as one of the
ones mentioned above.

> The format did evolve over the last 4 years or so, and so it is
> expected that we will have to clean this up after the fact...
> Even my docs may be confusing?

Thanks for posting your findings. Yes, the "proper settings" for many
things is a moving target, but this is fixable. I'll await your comments
before posting on the IRLP lists.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
IRLP 1148