[aprssig] tactical call identifier packet

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Jul 24 19:55:05 EDT 2008

> Anybody every thought about using something like a DNS server? Have one
> system that accepts inquiries about serial numbers and maps them to call
> signs. Since APRS acts a lot like a single broadcast domain clients that
> overhead a request-reply could just cache the entry, minimizing traffic.
> The mappings could be aged out of the cache and/or reverified
> periodically. Then you only have one place to update the mapping. I
> grant you doing this would require a change to all APRS clients but so
> would any major change.

Yes.  For position lookups and such, anyway.  I seem to remember I had a
working prototype based on BIND, but I can't remember what I did with
the code.  I think it's probably on the old Win2k server in the rack in
the garage... I'll have to see if it still boots.

Or are you talking about on-air lookups?

Scott
N1VG