[aprssig] tactical call identifier packet

Shawn Stoddard stoddard at pobox.com
Thu Jul 24 19:29:14 EDT 2008

Wes Johnston wrote:
> Could we create a new packet type that would force the display of a
> tactical callsign instead of an object's real callsign?
>
> For example... if I want to map ai4px-9 to "wes' car" on my display, I
> can do it on each client, but I have to program each client to know
> when it sees ai4px-9 to display wes car.  What if there was a packet
> that could "suggest" tactical calls.  I could program one client to
> send packets which the rest would see and they'd know which tactical
> calls to display w/o me having to program each one.  Yes, it's a
> little extra overhead on 144.39.
>
> The reasoning for this is to do with rfid badges.  It would be
> extremely simple to use a serial RFID reader, such as the one sold by
> parallax to spit out the badge serial number.  An attached open track
> (Whoops... I've just volunteered Scott for this, eh?) could construct
> an aprs packet using a canned (and pseudo randomized GPS position) and
> that badge number.  To aprs clients it would appear as an object (like
> what I do with the rino radios) with a "faked" position.  It would be
> nice if the open tracker knew the badge ID number and converted it to
> a callsign, but I feel that's impractical given the memory constraints
> of the tracker.    And, you'd have to program each tracker with a list
> of expected badge numbers and which callsigns they map to.  This could
> be problematic when new folks come to help in an event.
>
> Wes

Anybody every thought about using something like a DNS server? Have one
system that accepts inquiries about serial numbers and maps them to call
signs. Since APRS acts a lot like a single broadcast domain clients that
overhead a request-reply could just cache the entry, minimizing traffic.
The mappings could be aged out of the cache and/or reverified
periodically. Then you only have one place to update the mapping. I
grant you doing this would require a change to all APRS clients but so
would any major change.