[aprssig] Status text & related frustrations

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 13:31:35 EDT 2008

ARggggg!   Just an observation...P L E A S E done try to explain why it's this way.
  While I'm understanding more of the reasoning and background of some of the APRS parameters and practices... this is, unfortunately, I believe, one of the reasons APRS is not for the faint of heart and probably having difficulty picking up momentum.  Shoe-horning various things into other frame slots (I understand the benefit) and mixed terminology, such as:
 TO-CALL, UNPROTOCOL (D700).
Then: UI, Unnumbered, Unproto

I know it is not intentional, but various explanations don't stick to a rigid terminology (or provide a magic decoder ring).  It may be the way we talk, but its darn near impossible to get the proper understanding when reading stuff on the web.   [ Not to pick intentional, but MANY pretty  good PowerPoints still have RLAY,WIDE in them.  Web pages REQUIRE upKeep - I know it's work.

AND, yea, I know, if I was an old Packet operator, this would all fall into place, but I'm not AND I don't believe I need to be.  I'm not an idiot, I'm just not familiar with the long standing, relaxed, way of talking.

Short form: We need the proverbial Cliff's Notes.  There's still a lot of tutorials out there with RELAY,WIDE in them!  hint, hint, wink, wink,  nudge, nudge.

Just the other day I, for the first time, had my D700 in Packet mode and I was just watching packets on a dumb terminal.  It looked like KA9LDD-2 has RELAY last... Yikes, check out his raw packets!  Either he's really confused or trying to be difficult. I sent him a note...we'll see.

--
73, Steve, K9DCI