[aprssig] HAMFEST objects REDUX

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 11:19:51 EDT 2008

Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> I have been transmitting club meetings and swapmeet
>> info as bulletins with the APRS Bulletin plugin
>> for UI-View that automates the transmission of
>> announcements...
>>

> Can you elaborate a bit on the timing.  You mentioned the
> setting of the start and stop times.  I wonder what kind or
> refresh rate the program uses..  And what kind of path.  Is the
> path the same as the regular setting of the Uiview client, or
> something special just for the bulletins?  Also, does this
> include objects?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob, WB4APR

The application, "APRS Events", is available from M0CYP's UI-View add-on
pages at:

     <http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/addon_misc.htm#aprsevents>

It actually doesn't depend on UI-View or it's settings at all.   It is a
standalone application that uses the AGW Packet Engine as an interface
to access one or more TNCs.   You specify a callsign and path completely
independently of UI-View.

Currently at my station, AGWpe is arbitrating access to both the HF and
VHF ports of a classic original KAM, and access to a second KPC3+.   It
allows 4 copies of UI-View, UI-Traffic Monitor, UI-Network Analysis and
APRS Events to access/share both TNCs.

APRS Events is controlled by a text file "APRSevents.csv" that contains
lines like these (these are single lines that may wrap in email):

  #2008-07-11 15:05:00#,#2008-07-12 10:00:00#,"Inland Empire ARC
Swapmeeet 8AM Sat - Cable Airport in Upland",28

  #2008-07-21 15:05:00#,#2008-07-22 21:00:00#,"Pasadena ARC Meeting 7:00
PM Tuesday at Kaiser in Pasadena",28

  #2008-07-25 15:05:00#,#2008-07-26 10:00:00#,"TRW Swapmeet Saturday
8:00 AM Manhattan Beach",28

The final set of digits is the repetition rate in minutes.  I purposely
set the rep rate slightly faster than 30 minutes so that if my
"half-hourly" beacons happened to coincide with someone else's, the
beacons would gradually drift out of phase over time.   The application
has a fill-in template to add events, but the user interface is so
clumsy and erratic when it comes to editing existing events that I find
it easier to edit the .CSV file directly outside of UI Events.  (On most
Windows systems with MS Office installed, double-clicking the
APRSevents.csv file makes it open in an Excel spreadsheet where it is
neatly columnated  and easy to edit. )

The application is hardwired to transmit in bulletin format.  (I wish it
could transmit objects as well -- perhaps in a future revision it
will).  It stores it's own path and originating callsign independent of
any other application  using AGWpe.

I have set a single-hop path using the actual callsign of a single
digipeater (N6EX-1) that covers the area of interest (the San Gabriel
Valley -- the area between 5 and 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles
that includes  Pasadena, Alhambra, Monterey Park, Arcadia, Monrovia,  El
Monte, etc).   This avoids setting off 4 or 5 digipeaters all over the
greater Los Angeles basin simultaneously with the generic WIDE2-2 path
normally used around here.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map