[aprssig] Mic-E format issues

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jul 14 10:17:27 EDT 2008

> Have a look at this Link...[for bad Mic-E packets]
> http://f5vag.eu/php/bad_mice_stats.php

While monitoring from the beach, I got to look at a lot of packets the last few days and discovered a few issues.

1) more than half are showing an altitude below sealevel.  I need to check and see if it is my software or is showing that way on everyone's radios...

2) The TinyTrak3 appears to use the same TYPE symbol as a D700.  This is unfortunate, but explains why many emails I have sent to some mobiles never get answered or acked.

The D700 is a two-way message capable radio.  THe TinyTrak3 is not.  Yet they appear identical.  I am working with Byonics to suggest a different type character for the TinyTrak3.

3) This raises the question of how many other "trackers" out there are using the Mic-E format and may not be using a unique identifier.  To date I know of these:

_...  - (A space) is the original Mic-E
>...  - TH-D7
]...  - TM-D700
]...= - TM-D710
]...  - existing TinyTrak3's (look like D700's)
?...  - Opentrak?
?...  - Others?

For network integrity, each design needs to have its own identifier.  So if anyone is building Mic-E devices, lets work up the definitions and I will post on the APRS web page.

THanks
Bob, WB4APR