[aprssig] Wow, what a lot of traffic!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 13:20:07 EDT 2008

Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> Earl Needham wrote:
>
>>     I was in Los Angeles a few days ago, and the amount of packets I saw
>> was simply incredible!
>>

> [By the way, did you see my Echolink object in Pasadena a.k.a.
> "438.15PAS" on your display?   Located in Pasadena at a "mere" 950 feet
> above sea level at the foot of the 5000' San Gabriel Mtn range.]

And I forgot, did you see the bulletins I transmit of upcoming ham club
meetings and swap meets?

These are being sent by the M0CYP-developed UI-View plugin "APRS
Events".  I have the announcements for a given meeting set to start at
15:00 hours the day before the meeting (to pick up the afternoon
drive-time "audience" the day before), and expire about an hour before
the end of the event.

APRS Events operates from an easily-edited text file list. I have the
meetings and swapmeets queued up for the next six months. In turn, I
have APRS Events transmit on a path via an explicit digipeater callsign
(N6EX-1) rather than WIDE2-2 so the bulletins tend to blanket only the
San Gabriel Valley area (where the clubs in question are) rather than
all of the greater L.A. basin via multiple WIDE2-2s simultaneously.