[aprssig] TM-D710 APRS symbol (also posted on the yahooV71/D710group)

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jul 11 11:58:06 EDT 2008

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html

Looking at the above page in the "adding frequency to your mobile or
fixed station" section about 2/3 of the way down the page, indicates...

* FFF.FFFMHz Tnnn ... or
* FFF.FF MHz Tnnn ... or
* FFF.FFFMHz ...

The first 10 bytes must be the frequency. MHz in mixed case must be
next. And Tone if required must be next.

I understand this is so the D710s can use the TUNE button (nice feature)
to QSY to that frequency.

However, right above there in the "formats for frequency objects from
digipeaters" section... (repeater objects generated by digipeaters)

BTEXT ;FFF.FFxyz*111111zDDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrTnnn RXXm NETxxxxxx MTGxxxxx

* Where ;FFF.FFxyz is the frequency, and "xyz" are optional local unique
   characters

Here is where I get confused. Can the D710s still use the TUNE button
for objects in that format... i.e. without "MHz" after the frequency?

I take it that a "+" or "-" offset isn't needed in the object for the
D710s? I ask this because I have a repeater object that still has a "+"
in it for the offset. I'm wondering if that should be removed and "MHz"
should be used in its place.

I do realize that there is a 9 character limit to object names, so I
know the objects can't have e.g. 147.320MHz for the object name.
Would 147.32MHz work for the D710s TUNE button if it was used
for the name of a repeater object? Of course any "5 KHz"
repeaters would have a problem with that format.

I'm sure it has been posted before, but when the TUNE button is used in
the D710s, does it automatically enter the tone for the D710 user, or
just the frequency?

A further comment... while I can understand the "xyz" after the
frequency are to make the repeater objects unique, does it really
matter? It is users on RF that will be making use of them. It is only
when someone is using a website to view repeater objects that ambiguity
(about which repeater it is) would come into play. As long as there
aren't two voice repeaters on the same frequency within "APRS earshot"
of each other would it really make any difference if they are unique or
not? Of course, my original question above was about the lack of "MHz"
in the repeater objects and whether it prevented D710s from using the
TUNE button to QSY to the repeater.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH