[aprssig] TM-D710 APRS symbol (also posted on the yahoo V71/D710group)

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at hjemme.no
Fri Jul 11 10:23:49 EDT 2008

Robert Bruninga skrev:
>> i would love to have the correct symbol.
>> So then i tried the function where you can enter
>> the symbol and table. "OTHERS".
>> Both ... S# or #S also give wrong symbol.
>
> That is the correct method. The symbol should be # and the
> "table" should contain the overlay character "S".  It is
> interesting that this is not working?  Maybe I can try it later
> on mine..

I have tried several times and i.e aprs.fi does show the #S as an
ordinary digi with the old system. The same does UI-View and xastir.
We have another local digi and this shows the symbol correct and this is
an XDigi with TNC-X so maybe thers an bug in the TM-D710
On monday when i'm back i'll tryu to decode the packet manualy.

This is my 710 at home when using #S
LA3QMA>VPRQTL,WIDE2-2,qAo,LA3QMA-1,TCPIP:'{-+l
#S]144.675MHz=

> But what a waste of the D710 radio!  Maybe in  your area, people

hehe yes it is a "waste" but as the 710 was the only available radio
that was not used other places and this mountain is just an hour +/- QRM
walking time it was better to get up a digi rather not have anything at all.

We have an V71 for echolink in sysopmode and we have an object with the
EL-xxxx number so the QSY works great.

The same goes for the local UHF repeater.

> are not yet transmitting their voice frequency in their packets
> nor are there local voice frequency information objects to show
> on the front panel?  See:
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html
>
> Bob, WB4APR

yes i like this system. So for this QTH we are sending the UHF repeater
localinfo. The echolink system is at another QTH so here the object is
been sendt out some other place. People using trackers etc should also
adapt to this system. I see people using the frequency they are on in
the status field but not at the begining an not with the MHz etc so then
the 710 can not tune.

We have to order a new radio for this digipeater so the 710 was mounted
as an "emergency" digi as this is a important link in this area.

But even if the 710 is much better than the 700 as an digi i'm not that
impressed anymore. But thats not going to stop me buing another 710
because i love this radio. And when some of the bugs are gone it's even
better.

My leason is that the TNC-X with XDigi is more following the standards
than the 710. But then the XDigi is made for digipeating and the 710
just has this as an extra bonus.

If other could try to get the #S to work and report i'll read the mail
on monday and based on this i can report an bug to Kenwood if it is a
bug. But i would need some other to recreate this before i'm mailing them.

73 de LA3QMA
Kai Gunter