[aprssig] PIC processor for APRS info for D-STAR mobiles?

Jack Chomley radio at irock.com.au
Tue Jul 8 17:01:25 EDT 2008

At 11:19 PM 8/07/2008, Dave wrote:
>Hmmmmm....
>
>Following this thread....
>
>Is it just me, I am getting less and less impressed with the idea of
>D-STAR, for anything, voice and/or data.   Seems an awfull lot of fuss
>and expense, to do again what we can do already in the (currently out of
>fassion) analogue world, well, most of it.
>
>Notwithstanding the propritary voice codec used.
>
>Dave G0WBX said that!   (Flame suit and fire extinguisher at the ready)

I somehow think the simple things are getting lost in the complexity
of it all. Whilst its good to advance technology and justify Amateur
Radio's use of its Spectrum, its also important to consider the
participation ability, of interested people.
APRS and associated hardware/software information is becoming rather
disjointed, sort of like an old house that has had 4 rooms, 2
toilets, a porch, a solarium, a manshack, all added over the last 20
years! In other words, like a maze!  There is a wealth of APRS
information scattered everywhere.
To the interested newcomer, it must be daunting, THEN we add D-Star.........
Sorry, but I am lost in the mire, as I imagine many others are.
  Its like many other digital modes, IF easy to understand
documentation is easily accessible,  THEN people will see a
relatively easy path to enable their participation. If not, they will
move on, as there are many other choices.
IF APRS is to keep growing and D-STAR is part of it, document it
well, otherwise APRS will grow into an even bigger maze, than it already is ;-)

73s  Jack VK4JRC