[aprssig] OT: DV Dongle a D-Star codec on USB.

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at charter.net
Tue Jul 8 16:40:58 EDT 2008

This is what disappointed many in the early development. Many have
complained that there are several VOCODER's on the market that are good open
source alternatives that do not carry a licensing structure to utilize them.
Yes, it is true that it is just a chip, but AMBE cannot be integrated into a
software defined radio without using that licensed IC chip. Software defined
radio's could be created with optional CODEC's that are documented and allow
software interface's to perform the coding. Unfortunately this would be
incompatible with the existing infrastructure and not likely to happen
unless another manufacturer decides to design with a different CODEC.
Realistically, this could happen. A change in CODEC selection coupled with
some hardware design changes and a modified D-STAR specification could gain
some interest. The nice advantage of the software defined scenario is the
ability to selectively change the CODEC algorithm on the fly in the future
and not be bound by a hard licensed IC. Especially, when the parts go
obsolete and you are forced to make a lifetime parts purchase or redesign
your product! I think most manufacturers are in a bind from a marketing
perspective over the ICOM implementation because they may be impacted by the
ICOM proprietary gateway software. ICOM repeater controllers are installed.
Marketing people have issues with these type of competitor wraps around a
so-called open source like D-STAR. None of these are inherently bad things
if the technology fits the end application, but they are issues for other
manufacturers to jump on the same bandwagon. They are also issues for end
users in the expansion of additional features. Things could have been
handled differently, but the bottom line is it is still all about money. No
company wants to give up proprietary locks on a market and this keeps a
market uncompetitive. Not a good mix for the end user. Of course, if your
company is not in the repeater business, none of this is a major concern.

Tim - N8DEU