[aprssig] PIC processor for APRS info for D-STAR mobiles?

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Tue Jul 8 09:41:25 EDT 2008

I think I'm beginning to see the light here.  Honestly.

After speaking with a guy near here who owns a dstar, they seem to frown on
sending GPS data periodically because it makes everyone's radio beep.  You
can switch the GPS function from auto to only when you talk, and that seems
to be a remedy.  So mic-e is a good parallel here.

But what has just dawned on me this morning is that is off topic for aprs is
that when the radios send a GPS packet, they end up transmitting a voice
packet too.  Now in this case, the voice packet is blank (you aren't talking
when the radio transmits your position as data when in auto mode), but
because there is indeed voice "data" in the mix, it opens the squelch of the
other radios.  In this case, it seems a shame that icom didn't figure out
how to indicate that it was an "internal" ptt and flag the data so that the
receiving radios would know there was no voice data and not open their
squelch or beep or whatever they do.  I can see how this would become a real
nusance for the voice users.... although their speakers remain quiet, they
do beep at the end of a GPS data transmission... it's akin to me leaving my
mic-e setup on transmitting automatically on the repeater all day long, but
without the braaaps.  It would be like chinese water drip torture.

So since the icoms already have a way to send GPS data upward toward the
repeater, just what does the data that is send look like?  Is the sending
station's call prepended on the front of the GPS data?

Could someone post a copy of the recieved data with a GPS position in it?
Wes