[aprssig] PIC processor for APRS info for D-STAR mobiles?

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 09:36:50 EDT 2008

> Hi John, the RP2C generates a response transmission that causes most radios to beep.  That beep is normally not turned off (I don't think you can turn it off) because people use that beep the same as a courtesy tone to know they hit the repeater.

Double Check this Pete. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is
in the end user's radio.

>> This is a fact, but it can be avoided by turning on "Repeater Lockout"
>> (RLO) on the users radio.  This brings up an interesting thought.
>
> Some radios have this, others do not.  And RLO does cause other issues.

The only issue I know of is, when using an FM repeater, the RLO
prevents you from keying up during the repeater's hang time.  This is
really frustrating because RLO is global and can't be set in
individual memory.  It's very inconvenient to go through the set menu,
and turn off RLO, every time you switch from digital to analog.

>> I would also encourage two-way APRS/DPRS activity to take place on a
>> simplex frequency, not a repeater.  145.670 MHz can be used for DPRS
>> and simplex voice calling with very little problems.  DPRS activity
>> over the repeater can be limited to sending position information with
>> PTT or limited rate beaconing.
>
> I would recommend using a more robust data protocol (AX.25/TNC on FM, for instance) on a simplex frequency if data is the prime objective for the reasons that I gave elsewhere.

If you use DPRS on a common simplex D-STAR voice calling frequency,
then it effectively works like APRS Voice Alert.