[aprssig] PIC processor for APRS info for D-STAR mobiles?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Tue Jul 8 09:27:05 EDT 2008

Hi John, the RP2C generates a response transmission that causes most radios to beep.  That beep is normally not turned off (I don't think you can turn it off) because people use that beep the same as a courtesy tone to know they hit the repeater.

> This can happen, but is very infrequent when sending short data only
> bursts.

Actually, we see it happen more and more in wide repeater area coverage.

> This is a fact, but it can be avoided by turning on "Repeater Lockout"
> (RLO) on the users radio.  This brings up an interesting thought.

Some radios have this, others do not.  And RLO does cause other issues.

> I would also encourage two-way APRS/DPRS activity to take place on a
> simplex frequency, not a repeater.  145.670 MHz can be used for DPRS
> and simplex voice calling with very little problems.  DPRS activity
> over the repeater can be limited to sending position information with
> PTT or limited rate beaconing.

I would recommend using a more robust data protocol (AX.25/TNC on FM, for instance) on a simplex frequency if data is the prime objective for the reasons that I gave elsewhere.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net