[aprssig] was: Old adnauseum subject: APRS Source Routing (now: the summary of reality)

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at charter.net
Mon Jul 7 16:45:15 EDT 2008

What most fail to realize is the summary of reality:

1. Hams are cheap.

2. AX.25 infrastructure is in place, abundant, and working.

3. It is natural for humans to resist change.

4. DSTAR as it stands is a single vendor implementation.

AX.25 has been around for more than 20 years and thus, quite a few people
have accumulated AX.25 hardware. It has been used in various applications in
that time frame. HAM's are comfortable with it and most people like to work
in their comfort zone. The AX.25 hardware is abundant and one of the reasons
it has been successful. The HAM population has an investment in this
hardware and that will not change overnight. Remember reality #1. Until
reality #4 changes and other vendors hop on the bandwagon DSTAR will remain
what some may call an elitist novelty, much like some think about us
satellite operators. This is not a dig at DSTAR or satellite operators. It
is simply the reality of the HAM population. Money controls most of the
world. If little investment is made in DSTAR, little progress will me made.
Until other manufacturers invest in DSTAR, there is little hope it will
proliferate the airways like the AX.25 hardware. In the mean time the bridge
networks will tie them together to take advantage of what a bridged network
will offer between the protocols in exchanging digital traffic. If other
vendors develop hardware/firmware, it is more likely DSTAR will experience
rapid growth. Growth is good for Amateur Radio, but it takes time. The "us
and them" attitude is not good for growth in any area of life.

When the AX.25 TNC's became available back in the mid 1980's it took a short
period of time for them to become popular as the BBS systems emerged and
offered a wireless network to those who invested. However, you must keep in
mind that it was a very different time too. There was no abundant wireless
networking for the average person at that time. The Internet was not widely
available for civilian use at that time. Things were very different and the
excitement of networking computers via radio modems was an exciting
adventure and a learning experience as well. I ran a BBS and a automated
Satellite Gateway through the 90's moving traffic at higher data rates. Time
changes things and we experienced the rise of the Internet, the decline of
the BBS network, and at the same time we experienced the rise of the APRS
protocol providing the opportunity to re-use all those AX.25 TNC's that were
starting to collect dust. A whole new world opened on 145.79 MHz and the
hardware was available in abundance collecting dust and ready to be
implemented in a different environment. It was the right ingredient at the
right time. Had things been different, APRS may have never evolved in what
it is today, but the hardware was abundant and available. The next change
took place when APRS moved to 144.39 MHz. How much grief did that create?
Refer to reality #3 and #1. In some areas those who could not get off of
reality #3 remain on 145.79 MHz.

Change is only natural, but is also natural to resist that change. Time is
the greatest ingredient for change. We cannot stop time. It changes us and
ages our equipment. Old equipment gets replaced by new equipment and new
features. What we face is the decision to change with time. We either work
and develop together or we become obsolete. One day our entire radio network
could be linked between various bands and satellites for a worldwide
wireless radio network utilizing all of our resources. The possibilities are
endless.

There are many trolls on this list that jump at the opportunity to put
somebody down, make digs, or add fuel to the fire. They do nothing for
progress except to make a topic ramble into useless idle chatter. We work
with what we have by the contraints of those who are willing to invest their
time in the hobby and we should be thankful for their contributions to any
part of the hobby so others can enjoy it.

73's,

Tim - N8DEU