[aprssig] Old adnauseum subject: APRS Source Routing

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jul 6 11:16:43 EDT 2008

> Then you do not understand the term "source
> route" or "close coupling" which is exactly
> what you have done with your "new paradigm"
> and APRS is close coupled with AX.25. ...
> To say anything else is to display a complete
> lack of understanding of what "source routing" is.

I think you miss-read my emails.  I said that APRS is 100% source routing, and I strongly defend "source routing" for the APRS network.  Only the originator of a packet (which has so much variety of application and uses as the bredth of amateur radio) has the knowledge of where he wants his APRS packet to go.  Not some draconian dicator absentee digipeater sysop.

THe originator should chose his path.  And WIDE2-2 does very nicely for routine operations.  But DIGI1,DIGI2,DIGI3 can be used as needed for getting an APRS message from point to point B if needed.  I do not want local sometimes absent dictators to break up the network into local fiefdoms that require meticuluosly maintained rules to work on only pre-defined paths.  Such an ideal network will never work in the come-as-you-are real world of HAM radio (everywhere).  Sure it can work in some local areas, but traps travelers...

Bob, WB4APR