[aprssig] D700 dP bug ? Redux "dT"

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 13:52:21 EDT 2008

{ know this isn't a D700 forum, but post anyway}

Changing ONLY the D7 "STATUS TEXT" (Menu 2-9}  (and NOT the POSITION
coords)  then manually  re-beaconing direct to the D700 -   it indeed does
NOT show dP on the D700, but interrupts the display with the call-SSID
and the STATUS TEXT !

OK "Logable" ... got it!

.........  SO ........

/ frustration-rant interrupt triggered/

(And here's the sorta' Ah-ha}  The D700 Spec-Comm manual (p14)
says the meaning of the dP flag is "Duplicate position comment"
...  and  ...   includes "Same comment as the
previous...".    Sure! Now that I KNOW how it works, the
manual makes almost 100% sense.

  Here's the two new Magic decoder ring entries:

   Position comment =  STATUS TEXT

  dP = Duplicate STATUS TEXT from already listed station - NOT Position.

More fodder for the "How-it-works and How-To" document.

I say "sotra Ah-ha" because of the mixed terminology to common in
explaining APRS which makes this stuff hard to learn.-- when it
shouldn't be.   (like UI /  UNPROTO / Unnumbered)

Like I tell my students about electronics terminology:

  Learn the terminology correctly.  If your head hurts, it makes a Really Big difference whether you
have a head-ache or a sub-dural hematoma ---  Learn and use the
correct terminology!

  In this case Pick one and stick with it.

/Clear rant-interrupt  flags/  I'll go lie down and take an aspirin.

And, uh... Thanks to all for explaining many things here.
--

73, Steve, K9DCI