[aprssig] Preventing D700 & GPS Resets - Mobile

Doug Ferrell kd4moj at kd4moj.org
Thu Jan 31 16:09:16 EST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Hasan Schiers wrote:

> I have noticed a recurring problem with both my D700 and Garmin GPS-162,
> every time I start my new vehicle (2007 Taurus). Both are powered via the
> accessory/cig light plug (all of my prior aprs setups using this same
> equipment have been powered the same way, with no difficulties). When I
> start the car, (if the D700 and GPS are already on), they both turn off. I'm
> also not especially fond of what transients might be hitting them, in
> addition to the loss of power.

  I personally would not start any vehicle with the power to the rigs on
because of the voltage drop and the possibility of damage to the
radio. The Yaesu FT-2600's (it is a great packet rig) memory would get
zapped if the drop in voltage was low enough.

  Sometimes I do leave my D700 running with the car off.. but I turn it
off before cranking up the car.

--
...DOUG
KD4MOJ