[aprssig] The final word: W0APR

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jan 30 15:36:46 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Earl Needham wrote:

>        Thanks for the info, Jim.  Interesting situation, and
> completely sad and unnecessary about the two "perps".

I've known Jim for a long time, and while I'd like to believe he is
right, I believe that any dispute has two sides and I'm not going to
call anyone a perp based on another person's say-so. It sounds like
there is a power struggle between different factions within the
organization, which means there are two sides with arguments they feel
are correct. One side choses to air dirty laundry in public, the other
does not. That does not make either side right or wrong.

I hesitate to write this, because the very LAST thing I want is for
there to be more discussion of this on the sig, but I do believe it is
wrong to jump to a conclusion after only hearing one side of any
story. The FCC has only said they need to look at this further, they
have not said there was any fraud committed. I suspect in a case like
this they would say a tie goes to the previous license holder, so even
if the application is denied that does not make the applicants wrong.
If the FCC does pull the applicants' operator licenses as Jim clearly
hopes, then, and only then, would I believe they committed fraud. And
even then, I don't think this is the place for a victor to crow about
it.

I think both parties should lay out their case before the FCC, NOT
here on the SIG. Anyone that is interested can read about this on the
FCC web site. It will probably get picked up by the amateur news
services, they love dirt like this.

Lets go back to trashing people with long paths. Or maybe it time yet
again for someone to argue that APRS itself breaks FCC rules??? You
know, something productive!

Steve K4HG