[aprssig] Satellite Simulated Emergency Test 2

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 25 13:21:47 EST 2008

Next Satellite Simulated Emergency Test (SSET), 9-18 Feb?

PCSAT-1 will enter full sun on 9 Feb and will join ISS on
145.825 as a relay for 1200 baud SSET Emails.  GO-32 is also
available for 9600 baud Email (if we have sufficient Satgates).
See the web page on how to use ANY TNC, and no special software
to send an Email:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/sset.html

That should work well for Packet.  Now, for voice...

Now that we have AO-16, combined with SO-50 and AO-51 and others
for voice, these plus the digital birds give us a total of 36
passes per day opportuntiy for getting a simulated emergency
message out via amateur satellite.  I think we need to exercise
our EmComm capabilities and demonstrate them.

I'd like to suggest that we come up with a plan for how best to
use our voice birds for this kind of test too.  I'd suggest that
we come up with NET Control operators who will take checkin's.
Check-ins will report these items:  TX power, Gain, portable or
not, emergency power or not, location.

Anyone want to take charge and move out?
Bob, WB4APR

Bruninga
> Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 9:56 PM
> To: 'TAPR APRS Mailing List'
> Subject: [aprssig] Simulated Emergency Test via Satellite 50%
> status report.
>
> This weekend should be good for getting your Satellite -
> Simulated Emergecny Test message through.  See
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/sset.html.  PCSAT is half way
> through its 2 week long Fall full-ops period.
>
> Last weekend, we saw over 75 users per 24 hour period who
> exchanged about 250 messages a day plus 23 SSET emails.  Then
> during the week, this tapered to about 50 a day with 15 more
> SSET emails and 3 via ISS.  PCSAT is coming up in the late
> afternoon now in the Northern Hemisphere. See live user
downlink
> on http://pcsat.aprs.org .
>
> It is easy to send a Satelite Emergenncy Email without any
> special hardware or software other than a TNC (or soundcard
> software).  Just set your outoing Email in your Btext and set
> BEACON to once a minute.  Enable it in the afternoon between
> about 1400 to 1800 local standard time in the USA (or 5 to 9
> AM).  Set on 145.825 using a digi path of UNPROTO APRS VIA
> WIDE2-2 at 1200 baud.
>
> Or just set your Kenwood D7 or D700 to send the message
> automatically from the front panel.
>
> Check your email after that time period and see if you got the
> message.  The format is in the above SSET web page.  If you've
> done it via PCSAT, and or ISS, then try it via GO-32 at 9600
> baud.  Though you can do that at your leisure after PCSAT dies
> again and GO32 then is the only reliable bird.  See
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/GO32-ops.html
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Satellite

> > Simulated Satellite Emergency Test:
> >
> > I now see 74 PCSAT-1 users in the last 24 hours on
> > http://pcsat.aprs.org
> >
> > I cannot count up the SSET emails till I get to work on
> > Monday,  but of those 74 users, 50 of them have sent about
> > 822 messages via PCSAT-1 or ANDE or GO32 or maybe even ARISS

> > over the weekend (2-4 Nov).
> >
> > By the way, this is NOT just APRS hardware and software.
> > Anyone with a TNC and a radio can send their SSET checkin
> > email.  Just set your TNC BTEXT as follows:
> >
> > BT :EMAIL....:YOUR_EMAIL at WHATEVER.COM checking in for
SSET!...

> > Oh, replace the 4 dots after the word EMAIL with four
spaces.