[aprssig] getting gcc onto a computer

Len N9IJ n9ij at comcast.net
Thu Jan 24 11:59:34 EST 2008

I, too, have a MacBook with VMWare Fusion and Windows XP installed so I
can use some of my Windows-only applications. Question me this.... in
order to use a USB<>Serial adaptor do I need to install BOTH Mac and
Windows drivers? I am getting conflicting information both within and
outside of VMWare.

Dennis Hudson wrote:
> Congratulations, I think you'll love your new Macbook. I have 3! I have
> found "Spaces"(like linux' workspaces) and VMWare to be a great way to
> get all my favorite(and not so favorite MS) flavors of OSes and apps
> running on one hardware platform. There is even a xastir/ VMWare already
> installed and compiled with it's own OS on Xastir's site.
>
> There is something to be said for compiling your own software. Soon
> after OSX came out I was running Xastir natively under X11 with Curt's
> help. On your OSX install discs are the Xcode Development tools you need
> to compile your own software. If you look under "optional installs" you
> should find the packages you need.
>

> --
> Dennis Hudson, N2LBT
> Sysop APRSALY
> http://aprsaly.n2lbt.com:14501
> http://www.neaprs.org
> Albany, NY
>

> On Jan 24, 2008, at 08:39 AM, Andrew Rich wrote:
>
>> Just took the plunge into a macbook
>>
>> I am going well so far, I just need to know how to get gcc onto the
>> beast.
>>
>> So I can start compiling xastir predict and gpredict
>>
>> Ideas ?
>>
>> I went to heaps of sites that talk about gcc
>>
>> But it does not seem as clear cut ...
>>
>> Andrew VK4TEC

Len Revelle N9IJ
  QCWA QRP-ARCI