[aprssig] RE: 6 meter APRS or meteorscater?

Earl Needham earl_needham at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 20:06:42 EST 2008

At 16:38 1/23/2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>I don't think so.  If there is a path from A to B, then there is
>not one from B to C.  The probability is vanishingly small, and
>since the goal here is to have all these RX's at Igates, then if
>the first one heard it, then the APRS-IS heard it.  SO, its
>better to not bulk up the packet with the extra 7 bytes.

         There's another possibility, though, one that I've done from
time to time -- use that one hop path to allow my home station with
50+ feet of coax to hear a digipeat of a packet that my mobile
heard.  My mobile used to hear ISS and PCSAT and my home would not
reliability do it, but turning the dig on in the car allowed me to be
inside and see those stations.

         And yet another possibility is to allow the transmitting
station to see his OWN packet come back at him, thus showing that he
was heard.  This is pretty handy, too.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham