[aprssig] APRS - discriminator direct on FT-2800M ?

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 04:38:25 EST 2008

Search the web for a manual for the radio, with schematic (try mods.dk
for example, there are other sites too that don't need you to register)
then you'll be able to identify and replace the part restoring the radio
to full capability.  I'd be surprised if someone hasn't put a book for
that "on-line" yet.

I'd also say dont short out the part as K0QVF suggests, if it was a
coil, I'd expect the 8V to collapse way before any damage was done.
Caps' don't (usualy) get hot, so it was probably a resistor or diode, so
shorting it, could do other more expensive and fatal damage to the
radio.

You could bypass the mic amp altogether, but you should not perhaps go
straight to the modulator, unless you are going to run 9600bd packet, as
you still need to keep the audio filtering and pre-emphasis in line
(idealy) for 1200bd use.

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk