[aprssig] Davis Weather Station on APRS

J. Gary Bender, WS5N WS5N at wildblue.net
Sun Jan 20 15:20:24 EST 2008

You do need the Davis data-dongle-thingy to get the data out of the console.
The Davis WeatherLink software has the APRS reporting function builtin to it, so
you should not need additional software.  It turns out the "CWOP" (Citizens'
Weather...) reporting function uses APRS (over the internet).  If I remember
right, the software came with the data interface.  I think there were also some
standalone programs on the disk that would run APRS without the full WeatherLink
program running.  I did not play with that option.

Be careful that you don't mix Vantage Pro and Vantage Pro II accessories.  For
the most part they are not compatible.  I have used the Vantage Pro wireless
system for several years.  My only complaint is that it is a pretty expensive
solution after you pay for the extras to get the data into a computer.  On the
other hand, they are one of the few wireless solutions available.

My sensors just took a dive, literally -- guy broke and the mast fell over.
Both wind and rain sensors are dead.  Davis tells me it will be a flat $80 to
repair.  Not bad.
  J. Gary Bender, WS5N
  Fence Lake, New Mexico USA