[aprssig] APRS as a Situational Awareness tool

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 16 11:24:23 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> Curt WE7U wrote...
>
> (embedded reply-acks are...)
>
> > A really good spec addition that speeds up messaging. You send the
> > ack for the other station along with your next message, plus send
> > the last ack received along with your ack in each ACK transmission...
>
> Thanks for the explanation. Anything that improves throughput is a good
> thing. What APRS client(s) is it compatible with?

See the APRS Client Capabilities Chart.  ;-)

> Can it be used to
> exchange messages with legacy APRS clients, or does it obsolete them all
> at least as far as messaging goes? Can it be used to communicate with
> e.g. a HamHUD, D7, D700 or D710?

Yes.  It was set up to communicate with either the old-style
messaging or with the turbo-messaging of Reply-Ack's.  I've had some
problems talking to people with UI-View 'cuz it thinks that the same
message but with a different checksum is a new message, so it
displays multiple copies to the UI-View operator.  Not a big deal,
but annoying.

See:  <http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/replyacks.txt>