[aprssig] APRS as a Situational Awareness tool

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 15 12:56:40 EST 2008

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> Bob WB4APR wrote...
>
> > - Smart (redundant and delayed) acks for messages
>
> UI-View handles messages very well.

Except if the other end is using the reply-ack algorithm.

> > - embedded reply-acks to greatly improve message throughput
>
> I don't know what embedded reply-acks are.

A really good spec addition that speeds up messaging.  You send the
ack for the other station along with your next message, plus send
the last ack received along with your ack in each ACK transmission.
There's a bit more to it, but for stations that implement the
protocol it really makes messages fly, particularly over weaker
links.