[aprssig] Mini-DIN patch cables

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:07:15 EST 2008

How about some Icom D-Star RS-232C Data cables? Those are used for both GPS
and low speed data applications on the ID-800 and  IC-2820. The stock Icom
cable runs anywhere from $28 to $40 depending on where it is purchased.
Icom's model number is
OPC-1384. The cable pinout is noted below, very simple but for some of us
soldering to these Mini-Din's is becoming more difficult in our old age, not
to mention purchasing one or two connectors and a short run of good quality
shielded cable can be tough. A null modem adapter fixes the pin swap but if
you deem necessary one model with a female designed to go to a laptop and
one model with a male and the wires swapped to be used with a GPS would be
cleaner. I envision installing a male DB9 version in my truck and then a
female DB9 version would stay with my laptop for the various D-Star
applications out there.

http://cobalt.n5zpr.com/Media/icom_cables.pdf

Rich