[aprssig] APRS as a Situational Awareness tool

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jan 12 13:51:08 EST 2008

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> What killed (B) however is the very poor implementation of
> objects in most follow-on clients. Uiview transmits all objects
> (Old, and new) at exactly the same rate and all at the same time
> in one huge block. This generates an order of magnitude too
> many packets for the need, clobbers the network for a full 30
> seconds at a time for 30 objects, blocks most digipeats of those
> objects, and either has too much time lag or too much QRM to be
> of real value.

I created 10 objects this morning. I set the Object Interval down at a
ridiculous 1 minute. By the time I had the 10 objects created, they were
being sent out about one every 10 seconds. I then added an 11th object,
this one moving. Still, the objects were just sent out once a minute but
with 10 seconds between each one. I later played around with longer
times. With the object interval set to 10 minutes, they were again sent
out every 10 minutes, but with a 10 second gap between each one. I
didn't create 30 objects, but I had no reason to believe that the
program would act differently whether there one or ten or thirty
objects. No, they aren't sent at a decaying rate, but I just couldn't
get it to send 30 seconds of objects the way you were describing. I
couldn't even get it to send two objects with no gap in between.

This was on UI-View32 ver 2.03. What version of  UI-View were you using?
I just couldn't replicate what you were describing. The object interval
is set in SETUP - MISCELANEOUS.

Is there anyone using an old version of UI-View32 or the really old 16
bit version that could try this?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH