[aprssig] re:Situational awareness

Henry Wolcott ka1wts at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 17:56:03 EST 2008

I have been following this thread with great interest. We have used APRS in CT for many years as means for the NCS to maintain SA at marathons and bikathons using portable trackers. Net control sees at a glance where his assets are. It was used at the Topoff 3 drill for similar purposes. Today many EOC's have APRS. However, none of this would have happened if if W1GTT hadn't pushed and prodded until it happened. Every district and DEC needs someone like Bill to generate interest and to teach with hands on workshops. It is true that it is not of much DIRECT use to people in need. I don't think it was intended as such nor indeed can folks be expected to fiddle with it in an emergency. It is a superb tool to aid emergency managers and NCS's in their jobs and should be preconfigured and running 7/24. [See W1OEM] With APRS and tactical voice nets working together and linked to NTS you have a real system. There is a rub. My experience as DEC indicated that only about 10% of hams
 have any interest in ARES which is not enough. Ev's comments, and all the others, are right on track.

Hank   KA1WTS