[aprssig] APRS DOS a time for change?

Derek Koonce derek at dkoonce.com
Fri Jan 11 17:26:07 EST 2008

How about something in the system that sends back to a broadcaster a
message that their format is incorrect? This is in the hopes to get
those WIDE4-4 people using the correct path. This may be a difficult
thing, but could go something like:

1. Broadcaster uses WIDE4-4 in path.
2. Digi / Igate sees this sequence in the path and broadcasts back to
that station a message.

Granted this would generate new messages being transmitted in the area,
but could help alert people.

Derek Koonce
KE6JTP

Rich Mazzeo wrote:

> [...]
> matter what I type in there.
> ___Settings > Alternate VHF Path > the paths I have in altpath.txt
> aren't being sent, it's as if altpath.txt is corrupted, but it looks
> fine.
>
> ___Messaging: when entering an alternate path in the "send message"
> box, it is not implemented and just sends the message with the current
> path.
>
> ___Warning/Danger radius: WinAPRS doesn't seem to take any action when
> a moving station passes within my set limits, could be user error.
>
> Feature requests:
>
> ___Messaging: Bring back the backslash! If I recall correctly I used
> to be able to hit backslash on a queued message to disable (kill) it.
> Right now my only option is to "fake ack" it with the "=" or
> "backspace" key. The end result is the same, but when I come back
> later, I can't always remember if I "fake acked" it or if the other
> station really got it.
>
> ___Messaging:  I wish there was a way to "transmit all un-acked
> messages now". (Like the N key in the message window, but will send
> any message marked as "Q". this would really come in handy when I am
> taking APRS checkins for Skywarn
>
> ___Messaging: Rather than the current path options on the send message
> dialog, how about 5 radio buttons for path choice: -None-, Default
> (the default), and the other 3 would be the first 3 paths from our
> altpath.txt file. Altpath1, Altpath2, Altpath3.
>
> ___Messaging: A warning, or "remaining character count" when our
> message will be sent with 2 or more packets. When RF conditions are
> tough, I'd like to try and fit it all in one line rather than risk 1
> or 2 words spilling over to a second packet that might not make it.
>
> ___Weather: Any plan on supporting La Crosse weather stations?
>

> I came up with most of this on the fly right now just based on my own
> user experience.  I'm sure someone will chime in if anything I put
> down is already done or is the results of user error.
>
> Regards,
> Rich
> N3XKU
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Sproul" <kb2ici at amsat.org>
> <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>
> Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 3:13 PM
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS DOS a time for change?
>

>> Rich
>>
>> Please send me a list of what you see needs to be implemented in WinAPRS
>>
>> Mark
>>

>>>    I will second this.  I currently use WinAPRS, but as Brian
>>> stated, many of the features Bob intended were never implemented as
>>> planned. And now, WinAPRS hasn't been updated in over a year and a
>>> half.  If there was a way to get APRSDOS as a windows app and
>>> function the way it was intended (tiger map support would be awesome
>>> too!), I would gladly chip in a secondary "windows port" fee.  It
>>> just seems there is nothing else out there at the moment for windows

>>> Rich