[aprssig] APRS Common BULLETIN BOARD awareness

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 11 16:17:56 EST 2008

> I'm ... not sure if you are hoping someone will
> write the "one program fits all" or if you are
> trying to get people to use APRSdos.

Either.  But the DOS view will look pretty ancient to most, it
is a strictly local TNC/RF application, no internet, only
sketchy maps, but let it run for 10 to 30 minutes and then look
at the 6 main screens will show the basic views we are trying to
present:

MAP (space bar)
BULLETIN page
Message Page
Traffic page
Heard page
Digipeater paths page
LIST-STATUS page

As a start then use these two powerful Keys to look at things:

A-Analyze the network, etc
J-Just.  Displays only selected categories of stations
F1-Help

If the map is too cluttered, use Maps-Features-Calls-None to see
just the symbols.  If they have faded to being over 80 minutes
old, set the Controls-Filters-Fade command to 0.

www.tapr.org/software_library.php?dir=/aprssig/dosstuff/APRSdos
> I couldn't even find it on the page..

Sorry.  Good point.  All you need is APRS876.ZIP which is the
latesst.  If you want the specific maps for one of the 6 or so
regions of the country, then also get any of these:

Emapsxx  East coast (mid atlantic)
SEmapsXX Southeast
NWmapsXX   Northwest
NEAmapsXX  New England
CmapsXX  central
MmapsXX  midwest

Or others like for California, ohio, Florida, etc.  Then do a
Maps-Configuration-Change to EAS, SE, NW, NEA, CEN, MID that
matches the map distribution for your area.

Unfortunately, you have to have a TNC connected to COM1 or 2 or
it won't work.

Most people think I am on cloud nine and have never seen a lot
of the issues I complain most about, because their maps look
fine and they are not trying to use APRS as a comunications
network resource in a real time critical situation. They don't
care if objects are old, or in the wrong place, Or they don't
try to message reliably.  That's when some of these issues show
up.

Just some thoughts.
Bob, Wb4APR