[aprssig] APRS Common BULLETIN BOARD awareness

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jan 11 14:34:18 EST 2008

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Even if someone added the 40 line common Bulletin Board to a
> Uiview add-on, it is of really no value unless EVERYONE in APRS
> is seeing the same thing,  Not just the 5% that add all the
> needed plug ins...

I'm sure it would be trivial for a programmer. However even if 95% of
the thousands of UI-View users didn't install it, they would still have
access to the built-in "messages" utility where they can view ALL, MINE,
BLN or even user-added groups. I'm still not sure if you are hoping
someone will write the "one program fits all" or if you are trying to
get people to use APRS dos. Will it even run on current commonly
available computers? I did a search that took me to your "site" at
http://web.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html where it said that it was a
1.4 MB download and then followed a link to
www.tapr.org/software_library.php?dir=/aprssig/dosstuff/APRSdos
I couldn't even find it on the page.. or does it need all of the 60 or
so ZIP files listed there. I couldn't find anywhere that listed the
platform requirements. Will it even run on XP or VISTA?

I finally looked at AN-INDEX.txt. I still couldn't find it except for
a reference to aprsmin.zip which is supposed to contain APRSmin.exe
for a "a small version of APRSdos". I gave up and didn't download
anything.

> Don't get me started on what else has been glossed over in the
> rush to put ICONS on maps.  APRS was a lot  more....

Why not? What else are we missing? Are APRS users supposed to stop using
the tools they are using now and just wait for something new to show up?
Maybe OPENTrac needs closer inspection. Perhaps a client could be
written for it that does everything that you envision so we could get on
with using it instead of being told all the time that we are using the
wrong tools.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH