[aprssig] APRS DOS a time for change?

Mark Sproul kb2ici at amsat.org
Fri Jan 11 15:11:36 EST 2008

I have been programming computers for over 30 years, switching from
command line program style to windoid (Mac Windows X-Windows) style
is a MAJOR MAJOR paradigm switch. For the most part it is IMPOSSIBLE
to take dos, or unix CLI (Command Line Interface) code and convert it
to Windows, Mac, or X-Windows.  The overall style is COMPLETELY
different.  Yes of course some of the routines such as parsing can be
switched over, but.....

The language that Bob used for APRSdos is not a language that is used
in windoid style programming on any platform.

Programming on Windows, MacOS, and X-Windows is pretty much identical
from overall view point. I know this for a fact because MacAPRS,
WinAPRS and X-APRS is the exact same code base including menu
handlers, dialog box handlers, etc.  I have never released X-APRS
cause I could not get it to reliably load on machines other than the
build machine.

Keith and I have tried to implement as much as what Bob has asked for
over the years as we could, some of the display issues are
fundamentally different in a GUI environment as opposed to a CLI
environment.

WinAPRS is not dead, just slowed down a lot. My next major
improvement will be utilizing the new map data format from the census
bureau that replaces the current TIGER line format.

Mark Sproul

At 2:37 PM -0500 1/11/08, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>  > why after all these years... has APRS DOS
>>  not been ported over so that it could be
>>  run properly within a windows environment?
>
>Because I don't know how.  So I released the source code years
>ago with the hope that someone more talented than I in something
>other than QBasic could do it.

Mark Sproul                              |
http://ecs.rutgers.edu                   |
msproul at jove.rutgers.edu                 |
Manager - Engineering Computing Services | 732-445-3121
Rutgers University School of Engineering |
Office: Eng D111                         |